The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission – Visit Website
Specialist Advice and Services Division
The Specialist Advice and Services Division (SASD) is the ACCC/AER’s in-house provider of legal, economic, international, information and data analysis services across the ACCC and AER.
Within the broader Division, the ACCC/AER Legal Service provides in-house legal support across the full range of the agency’s functions. This includes investigations and litigation, regulation and corporate law. The Economic Group similarly provides economic advice across the full ACCC’s range of functions.
SASD is made up of three branches: ACCC/AER Legal service, Economics and International, Data and Intelligence. There is also a group of senior legal and economic advisors who sit outside of the division’s branch structure: General Counsel, Special Counsel, Litigation Counsel, and Chief Economist.
Role and Duties
The Chief Economist is the principal and authoritative source of advice to the Commission on competition and consumer economic issues arising in the administration of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and related legislation.
The Chief Economist undertakes activities to:
• ensure that sound economic principles are rigorously and consistently applied in the Commission’s decision-making on competition and related matters;
• engage with external stakeholders to improve the understanding of the role of economic analysis in the Commission’s consideration of competition and related matters.
The Chief Economist:
1. provides specialist, strategic and high-level economic advice to the Commission and Commissioners
2. ensures appropriate systems and frameworks are in place for sound economic principles to be applied rigorously and consistently in the Commission’s decision-making
3. provides expert economic advice on the conduct of competition and consumer investigations and litigation
4. mentors and/or advises Principal and Senior Economists in the organisation
5. is an expert economic witness and advise clients on economic evidence to court or tribunal hearings
6. leads engagement with senior internal and external stakeholders, including external economic consultants
7. represents the ACCC at the highest levels in industry and government, nationally and internationally.
For more information about the role including the selection criteria, please go to www.accc.gov.au and navigate to our Careers page to access the Candidate Kit.
How to apply
When applying you will be asked to upload your resume and submit a statement of claims that is no more than 800 words. When preparing your statement of claims, please take into consideration the role and duties, and detail instances from your past that demonstrate how you meet the selection criteria.
Further information, including how to apply can be found in the Candidate Kit.
Salary: Attractive remuneration commensurate with the role.
Claire Crawford or Daniel Nicholls
(02) 9233 1200
Please quote Ref Number: 69827
This role is available on a full time, part time or job share basis. There is one vacancy. This role can be performed from any of the following ACCC locations Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney or Townsville.
Tagged as: #Chief Executive, ACCC, chief economist, Economics, economist, economy
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
By Helena Cain
By Bernard Keane
By Chris Johnson
Get Premium now. Not ready? Get the free Daily newsletter.
antalya escort bayan